Answered By: Andy Billington
Last Updated: Jul 20, 2018     Views: 14

Unfortunately, due to Financial Regulations the £150.00 damage deposit has to go back to the original source.  If a bank account has been closed, or is no longer used then we have to wait until the payment is returned back from the bank to the University. Once our Finance team have received notification from the bank they will contact you to refund the £150.00 via another method.