Answered By: Andy Billington
Last Updated: Mar 06, 2018     Views: 133

On campus students

Residents are able to apply to leave the contract through the online accommodation portal. The Accommodation Team do endeavour to find a replacement, but the student is advised that they can post on social media pages to see if a non-residential student (not in another contract off campus) would be interested in taking over their contract. NB We currently have no official platform for this. If a replacement cannot be found, the student is advised that they will be held to their contract.


If a student is withdrawing or intercalating from their course, their halls contract is able to be terminated (and a 28 day notice period applied from the date their keys are signed in at Campus Support Security). A termination form must be completed by the student to activate this process – as part of the withdrawal/intercalation process, they are required to speak to the Accommodation and Hall Fees Team to ensure they have terminated their contract.

Off campus

Students are advised to speak to their landlord in regards to this, as the University are not able to have any influence on a contract being cancelled in the private sector, even if they are withdrawing from their course.

Generally, students are expected to find a replacement to take over their contract, therefore we advise them to post on social media.  If the property is registered with the Accommodation Team, the landlord is able to contact Accommodation Team to advertise this vacancy, which then appears on the off campus list.