Answered By: Library Helpdesk
Last Updated: Jun 10, 2019     Views: 19

Please contact the Security & Customer Information Centre (SCIC) in front of the main building (open 24 hours).

A job will also need to be raised on to have a lock change. This lost key / lock change request is then investigated/authorised by Security and also your Line Manager or Head of Department. Once your manager has approved, a lock change will be carried out and new keys will be issued to you and other users of that room.

Please note that lost Master Keys / requests for replacement Master Keys are approved and authorised/investigated by Head of Security - FM Manager, Campus Support Security and their decision is then passed to Maintenance to either action a full lock change (recommended) or supply new keys.